Behind the Screen: JuNoWriMo


Behind the Screen is meant to provide you guys with little snippets and peaks of my life outside of my beloved blog. I thought writing about my adventures in the non-virtual world would be pretty fun and it would also give you guys a chance to get to know me a little better. I picture it like vlogging, only blogging... yeah... Anywho, I hope you guys enjoy these little segments and if you don't give a hoot about my life, that's okay, time will heal my broken heart.

***

Hallo my fellow earthlings! The first day of June has arrived, which also means that today marks the start of JuNoWriMo! However, before I get into that, first let me explain what NaNoWriMo is.

NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, and it is an online event that takes place during the month of November. The basic premise of it is that one unsuspecting soul, signs up for the immense pressure of writing an entire novel, or 50,000 words in one month. It's also a great way to realize your true potential, like the ability to not sleep for 30 days. Don't be scared, though! It may have knocked off a few years of my life due to stress, but I always have a great time!


NaNoWriMo used to only take place once a year, but since it's gotten its start in 1999, there are tons of little online prep events that you can participate in throughout the year. One of them being *drumroll please* dun duh da duh! JuNoWriMo! Now if we're being technical here, the next official event will be Camp NaNoWriMo in July, where you basically do the same thing as NaNoWriMo, but on a smaller scale and with the support of your cabin mates. However, at the beginning of 2016, I made a pledge to finish a book by New Year's Day and I plan to stick to that pledge! That's why I've treated every month so far as NaNoWriMo and June is no exception. 

However, I've decided to use this month more for planning/outlining purposes instead of writing purposes, just because I was suddenly hit with this major plot twist in the middle of the night that I love and hate at the same time. Plus, it may or may not force me to rethink every decision I've ever made about this book. Yet, I don't want to do too much outlining because that hinders the creative process, I just feel like it's needed so that I have a clearer view of where I'm going with this new revelation.

 I'm actually pretty excited for the diabolic plans (of world domination) I come up with. I'm not quite sure why, but I have this strange need to see the skeleton of my baby neatly laid out on a nice, clean sheet of paper... I just realized how wrong that sounded, but you all know what I'm trying to say. At the same time though, it's like I have two people pulling me in opposite directions. One just wants write, write, write! Yet, the other's saying, first we need to assess each and every possible situation, plot out all the major plot points, separate the story into 50 million acts, and wonder as to why it is cats always seem to think your cup of water = their cup of water.

When I really think about it, I'll probably end up doing what I said before and use June for mostly outlining, but not because I know it's what's best for my story. Haha, it's nice that you thought so highly of me, though. No, I'll end up planning more because I'm stuck in the that dreaded middle of my story. It's awful, and so hard, and so boring, and I just wish I could act like it didn't exist, but sadly, that's not how books work.


It does suck, but even so, JuNoWriMo may think it's caught me, that this is the end of this dear old, little blogger, but ho ho! What JuNoWriMo doesn't know it is that I'm a survivor, I'm not gon' give up. I'm not gon' stop, I'm gon' work harder. I'm a survivor, I'm gonna a make it. I will survive, keep on survivin'. Did I just sing the entire chorus of Survivor? Yes. Do I care? No.

Anyways, I'm excited to spend yet another month survivin' writing. Are any of you participating in this year's JuNoWriMo? And if not, do you plan on doing any -NoWriMos? And if not that, how about any -YesWriMos (I give you full permission to slap me)?

The best of wishes, Z

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top